Wednesday, May 14, 2014

A very HEART-ful day!








LOVE those flip-flops!


Today was a very big day for us! Most of you know that I was born with a heart condition that requires extra care my entire life! My heart condition is called Tetralogy of Fallot. To this day, this congenital heart condition is often rare...The chances of me running into someone with Tetralogy of Fallot is slim...but that changed when I was in college and met a girl with the same condition. Anyway, my health history in itself can have its own book!

When I was born, my parents were unaware of any health problems prior to my birth. Then again, technology was still advancing in the late 80's. The doctors told my parents that my chance of survival was very slim and that my chances of living would mean emergency open heart surgery...I can't even imagine how my parents felt at that very moment. With much prayer and a priesthood blessing, my parents decided that this was the only way...WELL, HERE I AM! Twenty-seven years old, 3 open heart surgeries, and a melody valve replacement later, I'm healthy and pregnant!

 So where am I going with all this? Today's technology can detect if the fetus has any signs of heart diseases. They do this testing called the fetal echocardiogram when the pregnant woman is between 24-28 weeks pregnant, usually when the woman is at a high risk pregnancy like myself. For the longest time ever, even before I was married I was afraid of what my child can inherit from me. I'm just glad that my heart condition is not hereditary! I went in today to get this testing done and a LONG hour and a half later, I finally got to sit down with the doctor about the consultation of the echo. Her exact words: 

"His heart is beautiful..."

I was so happy to hear those words...his heart is beautiful! I listened as she explained to me how the baby's heart works in the womb. The consultation was short and sweet. When I got back to the car, I said a prayer and thanked my Heavenly Father for watching over our little family. I couldn't help but start crying tears of joy. I am ever so grateful for my amazing parents who did everything in their power to keep me alive and healthy!

SO when I got home from my doctors appointments today, Daniel took me to the mall to build a bear so we can put a heart in him and cherish this day of awesome news! I have the best husband!!

No comments: