Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Pepper Chicken with Caramelized Onions

Can you say, Delicious?! This recipe is packed with flavor! The only big whoops that I made was substituting 2 tbs McCormick's Grill mates Steak Seasoning for 2 tbs McCormick's Grill mates SPICY seasoning!! The original recipe asked for the regular steak seasoning. OH MY GOODNESS! It burned straight from my throat to my stomach. I've gotta say though, I kind of liked it! haha! Well, that's coming from someone who LOVE spicy foods! No but seriously, it was REALLY spicy! SO do me a favor, don't make the same mistake I did...reason being? Even though you may like the extreme kick, others around you may not--->  like my husband. He hasn't had any yet, but I can already hear the words coming out of his mouth! lol. My advice, if you want a little kick just make sure you adjust it to your liking. Anyway, I hope ya'll enjoy!



Ingredients

  • 2 lbs boneless chicken (cubed)
  • 2 tbs olive oil (divided)
  • 2 onions (sliced thin)
  • 2 tbs McCormicks steak seasoning, or spicy (if desired)
  • 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp ginger (paste, grated or powder)
  • 2 tsp garlic (paste or grated)
  • 1 cup celery stalks (finely chopped)
  • chopped fresh cilantro for garnish

Directions

Heat one tbsp olive oil on med-high heat. Add 1/3 sliced onion and saute about 4 minutes until dark brown. Add ginger, garlic and saute 2 minutes.
Add chicken chunks and the steak seasoning and cook uncovered about 10-15 minutesor until all the liquid as evaporated.
Meanwhile in a separate pan, heat 1 tbsp olive oil on med-high heat. Add remaining onions and cook until it get soft brown and caramelized. About 6-7 minutes.
Add 1 tsp fresh pepper, paprika, salt to the chicken mixture and cook another 2 minutes on med heat. Add chopped celery and remaining caramelized onions and simmer for 5-7 minutes. Garnish with chopped cilantro.
Serve hot with rice or in lettuce leaves to make lettuce wraps!

No comments: